Queen City Of The Sand Flats
Possible New Industry MARCH 1891-Honorable W. B. Page (State Senator) informs us that he has called on state geologist Dunble and urged him to send someone to investigate the Marl Bed
In The News
Grapeland News as reported to the Crockett Courier By Keystone
Possible New Industry MARCH 1891-Honorable W. B. Page (State Senator) informs us that he has called on state geologist Dunble and urged him to send someone to investigate the Marl Bed (This is a loose soil of sand and clay that contains a large amount of calcium carbonate Use-as a fertilizer) east of Grapeland Page states that he will put a man in there to work the Marl Bed in the spring and early summer.
A Visit from the President APRIL 1891-President Harrison's train will arrive in our city about 8:30 in the morning. Pap Hickey has been informed and is prepared to receive him with due ceremony. Pap Hickey is now busy dusting and cleaning the streets, removing old awnings and putting up new ones, stretching and hanging buntings, flags, and decorating the town generally. A salute of 21 guns will be fired and the Honorable "Bill" Nuly has been invited to deliver the address of welcome. Such distinguished persons should not be allowed to pass us without some public demonstration; at least we should put on our Sunday clothes.
Literary Society JANUARY 1893-The Literary Society has elected the following officers: J. H. Davis, president; Miss Linnie Garrett, vice president; Mr. Jno. Brimberry, secretary; Miss Ada Brimberry, Critic; and L. Meriwether, Chaplain.
The Grapeland Amateur Dramatic Club 1895-The Grapeland Amateur Dramatic Club organized here this week. This move on the part of young people should be encouraged. Their goal is to give entertainment for charitable purposes. For instance, they will buy a bell for the Methodist Church, build a fence around the cemetery, and assist the school and other charitable institutions as may need assistance. Next meeting will be at the residence of Dr. L. Merriwether.
Business Development JANUARY 1891-Totty and Miller changed to firm of Totty and Lively. Will Totty goes to work for J. E. Hollingworth. Hickey and Hunt changed. Hunt to farm. New firm Hickey and Owens. MARCH 1891-Grapeland doctor - Dr. B. F. Brown OCTOBER 1891-Nat Campbell opened his new store and Bob Owens gracefully swings the scale beam. JANUARY 1892-B. F. Hill sold out his stock to N. A. Hickey who moved the stock to Oakwood. SEPTEMBER 1892-There have been shipped 4330 bales of cotton and 1000 cases of eggs containing 30 dozen each. The broom factory owned and operated by J. R. and E. B. Dunnam is sending out a large lot of brooms. They intend enlarging their capacity. JANUARY 1893-Hill and Dailey have recently moved their mercantile at Daly to Haltom and Wooters and will go into business at Grapeland. JANUARY 1893-B. J. H. Guice has bought a 70 acre block just above Mr. Selkirk's residence and will move there as soon as he can build for the purpose of educating his children. MARCH 31, 1893-The steamboat at Alabama and Gid Webb informed us that the steamboat Harvey passed Alabama Crossing on Tuesday last. She was proceeding cautiously on account of overhanging trees and shrubs making 8 miles an hour. She was scheduled to reach Dallas on Saturday last. The river is in good boating condition and the boat is passing shoals without trouble. There are now three boats on the river. MAY 19, 1893-Work has begun on the new hotel. Material has been laid by. AUGUST 25, 1893-Mr. E. F. Dunnam is putting in a sugar house preparatory to making sugar on a large scale. This is a growing industry. OCTOBER 13, 1893-W. W. Stowe, Grapeland's barber, moved into the Burson building, where in connection with Ike Whitaker, he will open a jewelry store and photograph gallery. Nat Campbell started west a few days ago with his "Grand Entertainment Show!" Wallace Totty of Grapeland made an assignment on Monday last, W. H. Campbell, assignee. DECEMBER 22, 1893-The post office has been moved into the hotel, where the public will be served in postal matters by the genial and jovial James F. Martin. FEB. 2, 1894- Mr. N. F. Sadler has moved his stock of merchandise into the Nat Campbell building. John Parker and Jim Owens have bought the Frank Owens stock of goods and will hold forth at the old stand. MARCH 30, 1894-Mr. Will Totty has water works at the new hotel and is now putting on a fresh coat of paint. APRIL 20, 1894-J. A. Morris, the photographer, has returned and will locate here permanently. R. E. Blunt has laid the foundation for his new blacksmith shop. Mr. Bridges and Herod have changed the location of their gin to the lot just west of the Campbell Blacksmith Shop
MAY, 1894-Mr. Nat Campbell has returned with his "Great Entertainment Show" after touring the southeastern part of the state. F. M. Owens and Lee Clewis have bought the rights to make tombstones for Leon County from Mr. Campbell. DEC. 7, 1894-Rush Aldrich is now in the insurance business. Grapeland is growing rapidly. They already have a population of 600 and still they come. The people up there are thinking of incorporating and electing a mayor and council. Handsome residences are going up on all sides and elegant churches are being built by all denominations. The people are lively, energetic and enterprising, and extend an open hand to all who come. They have a fine school taught in a fine school building and largely patronized. MARCH 8, 1895-Mr. A. B. Spence has opened a stock of goods in the Burson building. Mr. B. F. Hill has opened a big stock of goods in the Masonic building. Mr. B. F. Campbell has sold his entire stock to Mr. George Tyer and is now a gentleman of leisure. Mr. Totty, of the Totty House, has just finished putting in piping whereby he is able to run water to all parts of the building which will be grand for the summertime. Mr. R. J. Garrett has opened in the Brooks building a shop for repairing sewing machines. MAY 3, 1895-J. E. Hollingsworth has bought the Campbellbuilding on the corner. Mr. Campbell has sold his entire stock of merchandise to Mr. George Tyer. MARCH 29, 1895-The Town HallCo. held its annual meeting last Sunday at which the following officers were elected for the ensuing year: L. Merriwether, president; J. M. Selkirk, secretary and business manager; and James Owens, treasurer. The business manager was ordered to have the scenery put up and let the Town Hall to the Dramatic Club free provided they will pay out of the first proceeds the cost of hanging the scenery. The Dramatic Club is hard at work and will make their debut in a few weeks. AUGUST 2, 1895-A colony of fifty fromArkansas have settled since Christmas between Sheridan and the River. The road from Grapeland to Augusta is almost a solid lane, a town, we may say. Murchison Prairie, which a few years since didn't have a residence is now as thickly settled as Nevel's Prairie. Fully a 1,000 people have moved in and settled in the northern part of the county within the past year. Mr. Will Totty is arranging to build two-story brick between the hotel and the old Campbell store and so the continued, solid, substantial progress of our town goes on. J. E. Hollingsworth and J. S. Yarborough attended the Fruit Palace at Tyler last week. The result was about 1500 peach trees were ordered for people in and around Grapeland. Let everyone who comes to town call at the drug store and see the chicken with four legs. Mr. L. Clewis will take pleasure in showing and explaining all about it. SEPTEMBER 20, 1895-The Grapeland and Daly Telephone Co. organized here last week and the line is now being put up between here and Daly. It will not be long before we will have connection with the city of Crockett and its suburban towns. The Grapeland Times made its appearance today, giving a full description of the town and surrounding county. Copies of this issue will be scattered all over the United States. Editor McNorton is in town to stay. JANUARY 31, 1896-Mr. Lee Clewis opened a stock of fancy groceries in the Burson building. 1895-If the ocean was an inkstand, the sky a roll of parchment, and every blade of grass a pen they all could be exhausted in writing up the boom that is our little city and vicinity. The natural advantages that exist here, the versatility of the soil and its cheapness are beginning to attract immigration from every point of the compass. The covered wagons with chairs, frying pans and skillets hung on the backend that are now constantly seen upon our streets indicate that they are coming. All that is needed is a little enterprise in letting the world know what we are, where we are and what we have and it will not be long until all these valleys and hillsides will be teeming with a thriving, industrious, money-making population. We want farmers who farm. Those who are not afraid of work we can assure this class success. Then let us join the rest of our county to form an emigration society. Who will speak first? 1895-The I & G N Railroad has painted the depot. 1895-Mr. B. F. Hill has bought Mr. Campbell's stock of goods and will move into the Masonic Building. 1895-Mr. Will Totty received his engine today and will soon have it in operation. We will have crystal, clear water all over town and what gardens we will have.... 1895-Mr. Geo. Darsey has started moving his stock of goods into the Spence building. He will soon begin the erection of a large brick building on his old stand.
School News FEBRUARY, 1890-School moving along smoothly under G. S.March. JUNE, 1890- 300 population. Trying to erect a school. JULY, 1891-Grapeland will have a fine academy building, the lower part being used for school purposes and the upper part for town hall. Work is now going forward. AUGUST 28, 1891- Grapeland lays cornerstone. The picnic has come and gone. The mighty concourse of people gathered together to witness the ceremony of the cornerstone and lend encouragement to the glorious work of erecting a new school building in our town. At 10:30 A. M. the Grapeland Lodge no. 473 A F & A M representing the Grand Lodge of Texas, under the charge of District D.G.M.W.J. Murchison, representing the Grand Master of the state marched in procession from their hall to the new school building. After a feeling and touching prayer by the Chaplin J. L. Whitescarver, they proceeded to lay the cornerstone of said building. In due Masonic form, with the beautiful and impressive ceremonies of that order. The following articles were deposited in the stone: a Bible, a copy of Taylor's monitor, a copy of the proceedings, constitution, and by-laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas for 1890, a roll of the members of the Grapeland Lodge, a copy of the meeting organizing the confederate veterans association, a copy of the World's Fair meeting held at Crockett, a roll of the citizens and business men of Grapeland, a history of the school building up to the present time, a copy of the program of the days proceedings, a ten dollar gold ring by E. L. Simpson, copies of Courier, Economist, Galveston News, and Houston Post and coins of various denominations by various parties. APRIL, 1892- The good people of Grapeland are about to complete their fine academy building and a beautiful one it is too. Grapeland is the liveliest town for its size in east Texas, has more vim, energy, and eliget-there about it than any little town in the country. AUGUST, 1892- The trustees awarded the school to Mr. Flynne of Brenham. Mr. Flynn comes highly recommended as a teacher and scholar. The number of grades in school has been increased from 8 to 9. SEPTEMBER, 1893 Handbill printed for the school by W. F. Lewis, A. M. Principal. Advertises a nine month school in Grapeland that will prepare students for any class in college they desire in a town, are requested to consider the advantages of our quiet, orderly little community. He urges the community to give us a trial. We guarantee satisfaction and the rates of tuition are cheaper for advance classes than any school of like grade known to the principal or the trustees. The school building is new. APRIL 20, 1894- The citizens of the town have made application for a normal school this summer. MAY, 1894- School trustees elected for new term are W. S. Johnson, J. E. Hollingsworth, and Lewis Meriwether. NOVEMBER 22, 1895- The following school teachers living near Grapeland have commenced their schools: W. H. Kolb, Walter Neel, and Miss Ava Hollings worth, Mrs. Stella Murchison, Miss Irene McCarty, Albert Tyer, Miss Ida Kolb, Miss Roxie Powers, Miss Beulah Sheridan, Miss Linnie Keene, and Sam Duitch.
OCTOBER, 1894- The new Methodist Church was completed last Sunday. DECEMBER 28, 1894- There are now three Sunday schools running in Grapeland- Methodist, Christian and Baptist and among the three, the spiritual needs of Grapeland should not go hungry. MARCH 29, 1895- The Christian Church has most of their materials on the ground for the erection of their new church house, but the building seems to progress slowly. MAY 25, 1894- The Christian Church is preparing to erect a new church this summer. JUNE 28, 1895- The work on the Christian Church began last week and is progressing rapidly. A fine bell was received by the MethodistChurch last week. It has been put in and arouses the sleeping natives for miles around, calling them to worship every Sunday morning. SEPTEMBER 20, 1895- The Christian Church is about completed and is a beauty. Messr. Sory and Owens deserve great praise for the neat job.
Grapeland News as Reported by the Grapeland Messenger
JUNE 9, 1905- Grapeland School Faculty for 1905-06- W. A. Cain, Principal; Sam Kennedy, Grammar School; Mrs. Nannie Cain, Intermediate; Miss Nannie Howard, Primary Dept. The Mayor reports that the incorporation has no money. Urges citizens to pay their taxes. First 11 ordinances for the corporation have been accepted. The first seven are signed by H. S. Robertson, Mayor and S. E. Howard, Secy, and the next five are signed by F. C. Woodard, Mayor, and S. E. Howard, Secy. The following businesses are operating in our town: Robert E. Caskey, barber at Totty Hotel featuring hot and cold baths; Geo. E. Darsey & Co.; Bon-Ton Shop; Jim Saxon, feed store, notions, groceries; W. B. Fans, agt. for Cheap Cash House-dry goods, shoes, clothing, hats, staple and fancy groceries; Grapeland Messenger-editor & publisher, Albert Luker; J. J. Brooks, general merchandise; Carlton & Porter, druggists; James Owens, the little store; S. T. Antony, cotton buyer; Guice Bros., blacksmiths; Howard's, general merchandise; G. R. Whitley, attorney at- law and dealer in real estate; J. B. Lively, buyer of hides and beeswax; Davis and Leaverton, fruit packers. JUNE 22, 1905- An estimated bumper crop of 600 pounds of tobacco per acre is expected to be cut and has already been contracted for at 15 cents per pound. This will yield the farmer $90 per acre. The orange bury soil of Houston Country is especially suited to the growth of tobacco. Farmers of cotton who are realizing only about $10 per acre raising cotton should consider raising tobacco. Growing tobacco requires only half the effort of a cotton crop. Potatoes, an experimental crop- the price is too low to harvest. JULY, 1905-Woodland Hall School-S. T. Parker elected trustee. Lightning hit a Negro house just back of the Totty Hotel Wednesday night and all the Negroes in that part of town (known as Negro town) were considerably frightened. Jim Stokes conducted a business where Geo. Whitley's Store is now located. Oak Grove News- Prof. J. N. Snell of Lovelady to become new teacher at their school. Five carloads of peaches were shipped to northern markets and more to come. Grapeland took the medal on fine peaches at the World's Fair. An average of twenty-five people are working at the packing shed and a large number in the orchards gathering fruit worked until four o'clock in the morning due to crates giving out early in the afternoon. JULY 7, 1905- 1000 to 1500 people gathered at Tyer's lake for The Farmer's Union picnic. N. S. Herod, master of ceremonies. Picnic committee- N. S. Herod, T. C. Lively, W. R. Campbell, W. T. Warner, John Brill. President of Grapeland District Union of Farmers - J. F. Garrett. JULY 20, 1905- Tom Dailey shipped two carloads of cattle to League City. So far this year Grapeland has shipped ten cars of peaches. Dave Walling shipped two railroad cars of watermelons, one to Chicago and one to Springfield, Mo., and one car of Irish potatoes to Galveston. San Pedro is now having their mail brought by rural carriers, This new way of getting the mail every day is far ahead of the post office system in the way of convenience, and by getting daily mail is something that people here have not enjoyed before and brings the farmer in touch with the outside world and helps him in many ways. Latexo News Item- Mr. H. Leaverton is shipping two carloads of lumber this week. G. R. Whitley, the real estate man, advertises 160 acres; 69 acres in cultivation; good water and houses--$5.00 an acre. Wanata News- The wedding bells are ringing. Charles Moore of Augusta took him a lifetime partner Wednesday night and Charles Kennedy hide himself away to Huntsville to get him a life sentence. Mr. Kennedy, of Augusta, married Miss Nezzie Keisler ofHuntsville. The Kennedys have a business in Augusta. AUGUST 3, 1905- City Ordinance-Pistol totters will be fined $100 to $200 or thirty days in jail.' The school census for this year was 563 and entitles the school to $1380.00 from the state ($5.25 per pupil) to help run the school. SEPTEMBER, 1905- Prof Sam Kennedy has accepted a principal ship in Augusta and Prof. S. P. Waltrip will fill his vacancy in the Grapeland School. School opened with 130 students in attendance. Four board members were present for the opening of school: Messrs. Geo. E. Darsey, J. M. Selkirk, B. R. Eaves, and E. W. Davis. SEPTEMBER 14, 1905- A new type auto meant for farm work had recently been put on the market in Scotland. It is not only suitable for plowing, but can be adapted for cultivating and reaping. It will prepare the ground and sow the seed in one operation and can be operated at a better speed than a horse. It can cover from six to seven acres a day. An electric line is being run from Palestine to Corsicana. Nat Davis bought the stock of goods owned by G. R. Whitley and will conduct a first class grocery store. OCTOBER, 1905- J. G. Shipper & Son bought the drug stock of W. H. Lively who is moving to Lytle, Texas. NOVEMBER, 1905- Dr. H. S. Robertson and W. H. Lively left with their families for Lytle,Texas where Mr. Lively will be in the drug business and Dr. Robertson will practice medicine. Dr. Robertson was the editor of the Messenger from 1899 to 1905. Jim Saxon sold his business to N. J. Tims. NOVEMBER, 1905- A practice that should be stopped is hitching horses to the sidewalk and stopping wagons on the cross streets. It's a great nuisance to try to go anywhere when the streets are blockaded with vehicles and horses. Our businessmen should provide posts and hitching racks. Fred Caldwell has leased the telephone exchange from Ney Sheridan and will assume management December 1. DECEMBER 21, 1905- 'We are puzzled, perplexed, and full of wonderment. The southbound train rolled in Saturday without a gallon of booze. LATER- We have been informed that there was so much booze in the car that the express messenger didn't have time to unload it in the time limit, consequently it was carried by.' July 6, 1906- First Car-- The first solid car of Elberta Peaches was shipped out of Texas last Tuesday from Grapeland. The car was loaded by W. W. Lively, Lewis & Irwin, J. S. Yarborough and R. B. Edens. Banners were tacked on each side of the car bearing this inscription: 'Texas' First Car Elbertas, from Grapeland, Texas.' This is a score for our truckers in the peach industry, and we have the famous Jacksonville country skinned when it comes to early fruit and a matchless grade. Grapeland will yet make Texas' fame far reaching with Elberta Peaches. July 5, 1906-Front Page-Nontoxicant beverage--Malt Sap-A beverage that is prepared on most scientific principles. By the method adopted in the double-evaporation process the alcoholic strength is absorbed to a minimum. Where a beverage to tone up the constitution or a mild table beverage is required the Malt Sap, on account of its purity is highly recommended. For sale at the Bon Ton Ice Cream Parlor-The place where everything is served just right. August 16, 1906- The people of Grapeland were petitioned by the city council to open all streets and alley ways belonging to the city. Certain purchasers had disregarded lines and encroached upon public right of ways belonging to the city. January 31, 1907--Local option on the sale of liquor passed in 1903 February 21, 1907--Call to Arms to stop the sale of liquor in the State of Texas by the Local Option Campaign Committee. From the Messenger of March 28, 1912 '23rd Psalm Revised' my wife is my boss, I shall not deny it She maketh me to lie down behind the bed when swell company cometh She leadth me behind her up main street. She restoreth my pocket book after she has spent its contents for hobble skirts and willow plumes. She leadeth me up the main aisle of the church for her new hat's sake Yea, though I walk more than half the night through dark rooms with a crying baby, I will get no rest, for she is behind me; her broomstick and hat pin do everything but comfort me. July, 1916-Grapeland Messenger Hitching A Train Ride Last Sunday evening, after all passenger trains had gone south, one of Grapeland's most popular young men was seized with a desire to visit Trinity. The desire was so strong he couldn't resist the temptation to swing a freight train which happened to be passing. Everything was lovely for about a mile when the crew discovered their 'guest'. They promptly informed the young man that no doubt the company would be exceedingly pleased to have him grace the passenger trains with his presence, but that under the present rules of the road, the crew would be forced to decline the honor of carrying him to his destination. The young man's expostulations were useless, and after exhausting his vocabulary (and breath) trying to convey to the crew the strength of his desire to continue his journey, the train was stopped to allow the disappointed and crestfallen young fellow to get off and 'foot it' back to the city under the blistering rays of a June day sun, which threatened to tan his complexion and lower his collar as well as his desire to walk back. `Tis a cruel old world!'
March 27, 1924- GRAPELAND SHIPS EGGS TO HAVANA
Grapeland News as reported by the Galveston News November, 1875
"Mr. T. S. Kincade, who was bitten by a mad dog last summer, had a madstone immediately applied to the wounds and apparently was cured. This morning a neighbor to Kincade came riding into town at full gallop with the startling news that he was prostrate with hydrophobia. His death is feared. This proves that an application of the stone is not a positive cure, as only too many are eager to believe. Two weeks ago, Mr. Lockwood Mathews and wife went chinquapin hunting. Returning home, they found that their house, corn crib and barn, and all they possessed, had been destroyed by fire. How it occurred is not known, but it is believed some burning wood fell from the fire, and communicated with the floor. The neighbors and merchants of Grapeland opened a subscription list. A new house is being built for them, and they received otherwise a considerable amount of clothes, bedding and other necessaries."
X. Y. ZAND COMMENT: According to Mrs. Quick, a madstone came out of a white deer. Each community had one and this would be sent for to treat an animal bite. The stone was soaked in sweet milk and applied to the bite to remove the poison.