Grapeland Texas

Queen City Of The Sand Flats

This is the story of life in and around Grapeland, Texas, before the Second World War. Grapeland is a little town in East Texas, caught between the Post Oak Savannah on the west and the Pineywoods on the east. Post Oaks still stand that saw ox teams on her roads, saw the first train and automobile that came there and waved their branches at the first plane that flew over.

 


Grapeland Texas

From Vines To Township To City

 

This is the story of life in and around Grapeland, Texas, before the Second World War. Grapeland is a little town in East Texas, caught between the Post Oak Savannah on the west and the Pineywoods on the east. Post Oaks still stand that saw ox teams on her roads, saw the first train and automobile that came there and waved their branches at the first plane that flew over.

     The people there have lived together since the first wagon train came through; others came later from many states. They have attended each others weddings and dances, helped with barn raisings and harvesting and helped their neighbors bury their dead. You can usually predict how a 'native' will stand on any question that comes up. Some are good people, some are the best on earth and some are as mean as the devil. Some are just naturally mean-- they're born that way; others are made mean by life. Good people are made much the same way.

     Spring comes in a burst of glory. You can hear tree frogs sing at dusk and red birds in the Post oaks along creek banks in the morning. Man and boy can fish and swim the creeks in summer and hunt quail along the fence rows in the fall and winter. Time has a tendency to put a soft glow on things and we remember a place by the mood we were in when we saw it but this town in those preWorld War II days was a good place to grow up in; a great place to be from and a welcoming place to come home to.

     Since the site for the town was a blend of the Piney woods and the Post Oak Savannah so were its inhabitants-- both the early ones and the ones to come. From the beginning the Piney Woods fostered a way of life that involved growing garden vegetables in a little clearing; hunting deer and turkey and squirrel for meat; gathering wild foods in the woods and getting along with little or no money. The Indians who first lived in the area practiced this life style and so did the settlers who came later.

     The Post Oak Savannah is a rather dignified country. It is long and thin and reaches over so much country that its various parts have little in common except sandy soil and post oaks. The pine and the post oak grow together. While the pine was tall and stately, the post oak was neither large nor beautiful as compared to the live oak. But it didn't wear its crown of grape vines for nothing. The post oak made fence posts and railroad ties and provided firewood and filled other needs of the settlers. Among the pine and post oak trees lived sweet gum, holly magnolias and blackjack oak. The forest had understudy trees with spicy or tasty products or with startling beauty: persimmons, papaws, to eat; sassafras for tea; witch hazel for lotion; the dogwood and redbud for beauty and the promise of spring. Pecans, black walnut and chinquapin provided nuts. The chinquapin is the best tasting of all nuts but the squirrels always seem to beat you to them. Wild plum trees, dewberry vines (blackberries) and grape vines flourished in the country.

     There was a heavy rainfall, a humid climate and an abundance of water-- marshes, ponds, streams, rivers and `sinkholes' that trapped water and never seemed to drain.

     This lush growth of tree and vine and water attracted the animals and birds. Mink and beaver lived in the small clear streams. Water fowl made use of the marshes, ponds and 'sink holes'. Opossums, gray squirrels, flying squirrels, fox squirrels and coons occupied the trees sharing them with the owls that sounded loud and close at night. Deer were attracted to the site by the water and food supply; the black bear and bobcat were also attracted by the food supply and in turn the Indians hunted the area for the same reason-- abundant food.

      All flourished in the sandy soil lay down in Tertiary times as dunes and beaches and sea bottom. The red clay still holds the remains of the tiny sea creatures that once lived in the area. The sand encouraged the forest to grow because the tree roots could easily penetrate it and it soaked up water and held it like a sponge.

     In 1835, a few white people were settled in the region. They had come by wagon train and liked the area. The grass could be plowed at once, needing no clearing and the wood supplied building materials. The forest was another matter. The men hacked at it trying to make room to grow cotton, corn and kitchen gardens. Their tools were small and simple--axes and matlacks. The forest fought back. It could reclaim in a few seasons land not regularly plowed. But where the forest was there was the game. So while it stubbornly fought the settlers it fed, clothed and sheltered them. One fifth generation citizen remembers the family tales of the post oaks being `so covered with grape vines that they seemed to be growing from the tops of the trees.'

     The early families had trading posts and traded with the Indians who hunted the area and these same Indians often camped on the site in Grapeland near the First Baptist Church. One of our older citizens remembers this and also remembers that an Indian child was buried where the Will Darsey house now stands. And so the people farmed, trapped animals for furs and food and founded a scattered settlement of sorts. It was a place to take root and the soft, sandy soil was good for going barefoot and the woods were full of wild animals and things to eat.

     Travel was by wagon or horseback over roads that were little more than animal trails. It was uncomfortable and slow. Trying to ship produce to market or order supplies from Galveston was both back-breaking and frustrating. Everyone had just about resigned themselves to the lack of the communication with the known civilized world when word reached them that the railroad was coming!

     In 1871, the Houston and Texas Railroad contracted to lay track from Palestine to Latexo. One square mile was to be set off by the railroad to become a town. This was the official beginning of the town of Grapeland.

     When the railroad crews arrived to lay the track there were only two `roads', which were really rutted wagon trails. One road ran from Augusta to the Trinity River, which was the major means of transporting 'goods' for the settlers. The other 'road' connectedPalestine, Latexo and Crockett. It was on the west side of town and went past the present Junior High School. You can still travel it from Grapeland to Latexo and to Elkhart. Highway 19 or 287 as we now know it wasn't even a dream.

     The land on which the tracks were to be laid was densely populated with post oaks and grapevines. It is said that these grapevines caused the work crews considerable difficulty in laying the track. The post oak trees that were cut down became railroad ties but the crew could find no earthly use for the grapevines. Of course they probably hadn't discovered that you could smoke grapevines--this is if you could hide away from the adults. Their dislike for the tough grapevine probably was the basis for the tale that they named the town site Grapevine and that the name was changed to Grapeland only when the town applied for a post office. It seems that an area close to Dallas was already using the name of Grapevine. Now, you ask, why was the John Erwin survey set aside for a town site? Well it seems that the state of Texas and the railroad had struck a deal. The state agreed that for each mile of track that the railroad put down, it would give the railroad a certain number of acres of land. So to recover their cost of laying the track and provide freight depots for their rail lines, the railroad would subdivide a part of this land (about 10 to 12 miles apart) into a town site plot for businesses and homes. They donated the streets and alleys to the public.

 Calhoun & leaverton Livery

                                                    

     The town site was divided into lots and blocks with streets and alleys designated. The railroad was to retain 90 feet on each side of the track for its own use. This was the birth of Grapeland.

     The infant Grapeland wasn't a very impressive offspring. It was rather scrawny. The original town site had only 16 blocks. The rest of the land was sold in undivided acreage. The streets in Grapeland were named by the railroad. Front Street, Oak Street, Olive Street Orange Street, Willow Street, Maple Street, Chestnut, Locust and Myrtle. We can only suppose that the gentleman or gentlemen who gave our streets these names was interested in forestry or had in his possession a book about trees.

     Oak Street was supposed (according to the original plot) to be the main business street of the town. So it was to be 100 feet wide, while the lesser streets were to be only 80 and 60 feet wide. The blocks were to be 270' by 270' and these were to be divided into lots. Business lots were to be 27' by 125' while residential lots varied from 30' to 42.6' to 90'. They were crudely laid out, uncleared and the streets were sandy towpaths. Yet people were eager to buy into the area and begin the business of building a town.

     The first general store was opened (on lots 1 and 2, block 3) by T. T. Beazley. Mr. Beazley carried groceries, hardware, farm supplies, dry goods and notions, Now that the town site had a general store and a railroad it needed a hotel for travelers and future citizens. R. M. Garrett, in January 1873, opened Grapeland's first hotel across the street from Beazley's store. After surveying the situation T. J. Cook decided that the men of the town needed a saloon. Now the town had a 'watering hole' for the two-legged inhabitants as well as the remaining four-legged ones. With the train station, a general store, a hotel and Courtesy of Bill Washburn a saloon it is not unusual that most of the lot sales in the 1870's were in block two and three and were sold for business.

     People were slower to move into town. However four lots did sell for residential purposes during this time. They were in blocks 5, 7, and 12. Then the settlers began to see the wisdom of moving from outlying areas to a central location. The census record shows that in 1873 the population of Grapeland was 40. Just seven years later in 1880 it was 200; -ten years later in 1890, it was 300' four years later in 1894, it was 600 and in 1901 it had leaped to 1000.

     Why did the town grow so rapidly? The land certainly wasn't any better than any other land around. The lots were uncleared. Trees and vines grew profusely. The one thing it had over other settlements in the area was the railroad and far-sighted people who could see what it represented—contact with the outside world. At the time Grapeland was established, settlers had to ride horse back for ten or more miles to pick up their mail or supplies. Often a letter reached them announcing the birth of a child long after the child had died of one of the many diseases children were prey to during this time. Before the railroad large items such as furniture were almost impossible to obtain and trying to ship produce to market was very 'iffy' so most people only raised enough for themselves and to trade with neighbors. Now a profit could be had from farming.

     The early newspapers point out that every crop known to man could be grown in this area. This may be exaggerated a bit but the area did support a wide variety of agricultural commerce. There was cotton, corn, fruit and tobacco; cattle, bees, poultry and horses; men trapped, built furniture and farm equipment. The people who settled in Grapeland were not afraid to experiment. They were encouraged by what the same newspapers called 'capitalists' who came to Grapeland to contract for the raising and shipment of different farm products. The merchants in the town also served as wholesalers as well as retailers for local products.

      Brokers from St. Louis and Chicago wanted fresh fruit and vegetables, cotton and tobacco but they needed the Southern settlers to raise them. We had the land, the water and the climate and the people who knew how to raise these crops. It is recorded that three farmers set a record by buying 1500 fruit trees to establish the largest orchard in the county.

 James Owens General Merchandise

                                                

     Up the road, Stark's Switch was also growing rapidly. It seems that the Texas & Louisiana Orchard Co. encouraged and promoted the growth of a large peach industry. As for the name Latexo it appears that the papers were to blame. They always referred to that area by the orchard company's initials LATEXO (Louisiana, Texas Orchard). Soon that became its name and the name Stark's Switch (so named because a Mr. Stark had built a switch there that turned the train around) was dropped and the area was officially known as Latexo.

     The growth of an agricultural center attracted skilled artisans, encouraged inventive uses of materials such as windmills that were used to ruin grist mills and attracted professional people i.e. teachers, doctors and dentists.

     Grapeland now had as many as ten general merchandise stores which resembled in variety of goods sold our modern day discount store. We had our own doctor, real estate brokers and lawyers. The first doctor mentioned was a Dr. Brown (no first name was given) and then Dr. Lewis Merriwether. The first recorded lawyer and real estate broker was Mr. Whittley, who later moved toPalestine.

     Schools in the 1870's and 1880's were provided by individuals who taught children in their homes. Sometimes the local church in each small community functioned as both a place of learning and a place of worship. Grapeland had a log cabin where the BaptistChurch now stands that served as the local school and served as the meeting place of all church groups. The first cemetery developed on the land beside this cabin. The needs of the community quickly outgrew this building as more and more people moved in. By the 1890's the need for a larger building in which to school the 'baby-boomers' of the '90's was apparent to many of our local citizens. It was about this time that the state of Texas began creating local school districts. So the citizens of Grapeland held an election in 1894 to incorporate as a town 'for school purposes only'. It passed 40 to 8.

     A fine two-story `academy' was built that same year on College Street (located where the Dan Pennington residence now stands). The upper story was to serve as a town hall where meetings and 'entertainments' could be held. A group of citizens were appointed or elected to supervise the use of the hall and Dr. Lewis Merriwhether was the first president of this board. Traveling shows brought musicals, melodramas, orators and other sundry entertainments to the town. In the middle 1890's culture had arrived in Grapeland. A literary club composed of both men and women was organized as well as a musical club and a dramatic club. While these were made up largely of adults some young people were included. The citizens felt secure in material gains and they now sought cultural enrichment and spiritual improvement.

     Buildings were being built to house religious denominations separately. Our town had grown to the point that one building of worship for all beliefs was no longer a necessity. About this time something called 'community spirit' was beginning to take hold of the citizens. Our local newspaper writes of the Dramatic Club scheduling events to help the Methodist Church buy a bell and to raise money to build a fence for the `academy’. But with all these trappings of civilization Grapeland was still a `frontier town.'

     Try to imagine what the town of Grapeland looked like on a Saturday morning in the 1890's. Monday through Fridays were 'hard working days' for farmers but Saturday was `town-day' after the every day chores were finished or 'laid by'. The families might travel by ox-drawn wagons or by a buggy pulled by a handsome team of horses. Young men usually preferred to ride horse back unless they were `sparking' a young lady and then they contrived to borrow a buggy. The sandy roads were lined with wagons and buggies comin' to town on a Saturday.

     Town streets were narrow with weeds growing between the wagon ruts. Early pictures show plowed, deep sandy streets, flanked by wooden buildings that looked like they belong in a western movie. Livestock roamed about freely since there were no local ordinances for keeping them penned and the closest law enforcement was in Crockett twelve miles south of Grapeland. Streets were `maintained' by plowing them when the weeds got out-of-hand. Luckily, we did not have as much 'disposable trash' as we do now but the downtown area was still trashy looking.

Leaverton Lumber 

                                               

     The early day stores operated their businesses from the front, side, and back doors. One could walk down the alley behind Front Street and shop both sides of the street. Front Street had sycamores planted down the middle of it which was certainly handy since the first thing you had to do when you arrived in town was to find a place to 'tie -up to'. A few stores provided hitchin' posts and you could water your horses or oxen at a well located in front of what is now our present day barber shop. A barber shop or drug store has always occupied this location and if you want to locate the `ole watering hole' just look for a sink in the street in front of the barber shop. To this day it periodically has to be filled in and leveled.

     One of the first parking lots in Grapeland was to the south of the Christian Church. A triangle of land between the road and the alley to Mr. A. B. Spence's gin was used dully for brush arbor meetings and for parking wagons.

     The sidewalks to the stores of Grapeland were just boards and so crowded on Saturdays that you would think it was Peanut Festival day. People came to town to trade, shop and socialize. They usually spent most of the day in town. For this reason nearly all the stores sold some type of food for lunch. Crackers, canned sardines and canned peaches were the all time favorites. One customer told Mr. Geo. E. Darsey Sr., that he ever got rich. He would buy a can of sardines every day to eat. This custom of buying snacks for lunch continued up through the 1940's.

 Sycamore Street

 East Front Street

 Traylor Bros.

                                              

     Livestock, kids, dogs and people cluttered the streets, stores and sidewalks. Merchants often moved their wares outside on the sidewalk to lure customers into their stores. The competition was often fierce.

     The town now had a post office behind block 3 facing the alley and a phone system, a shoe shop, a feed store, grocery store, a restaurant called Herod Restaurant and a pool hall. Two blacksmith shops faced each other. Mr. Campbell's blacksmith shop stood where our present day fire station is and Mr. Blount's shop was across the street where the old car wash used to be. We almost had a blacksmith shop on every corner for Mr. A. B. Guice operated one on the corner of Oak and Maple Street. Mrs. Goodson's Hotel occupied the area of our present day Masonic Lodge. There were four gins at this time. The Herod-Bridges Gin stood where Bailey & Foster is now, the Artie Spence Gin was behind the Christian Church, the J. J. Brooks Gin was across the street from the MethodistChurch and the W. J. Bridges Gin was across the street from the present day Assembly of God Church.

     All in all, it was a rough and ready town because we had no rules. The 'streets' were in terrible condition, we had no law enforcement, animals roamed about freely, health standards were almost non-existent, the houses stood without under-penning and the hogs rooted about freely. The citizens voted to incorporate the town in 1899 in an attempt to solve some of these problems. Dr. H. S. Robertson was our first mayor but there was little he could do because the citizens did not pay their taxes. Without money there was no way improvements could be made or laws enforced. In 1906, the newspaper supported unincorporation and when the election was held to dissolve it, the headline read 'Cock-a-Doodle Do, Corporation Fails'.

W. R. Wherry    

                                              

     The late 1890's however had production a new look in the business face of Grapeland. Several brick companies began doing business in town and the new 'in' look was brick. It was modern, it didn't need painting and it outlasted wood. Brick didn't burn and it suggested permanency. The merchants loved it. Geo. E. Darsey, Sr. built the first brick business in 1896. Julian Walling was the second merchant to enter the 'brick age'. He built next to Mr. Darsey adding an upstairs that housed the Masonic Lodge. The downstairs was rented to H. S. Porter as a drug store. In 1906, Dave Walling started manufacturing and selling bricks. In 1907, he built the two-story Kennedy building that is still standing today.

     If in 1907, you were looking down Front Street the first building you would notice would be a wooden building that was owned by James Owens and operated as a general merchandise store. Next to Owen's was a restaurant, then the Farmers and Merchants State Bank and Geo. E. Darsey Dry Goods. Behind these businesses were a few wooden buildings that housed various businesses continuing on down Front Street we would encounter the two brick buildings that housed the Geo. E. Darsey Mercantile Store, the A. S. Porter Drug Store, the J. J. Brooks Store (which later became Wherry's), the Selkirk Palace of Sweets, the Bon Ton Shop, the Boykin and Murchison Drug Store, the Campbell Leather Shop, the J. E. Hollingsworth Store and the B. H. Campbell Store.

 East Side of Town

                                                  

      In the next block were the Totty Hotel and a livery stable. The Totty was given permission to pipe water from the railroad's water tower (which was across the street and railroad tracks) to the hotel for 'purposes of bathing only '. You might say the Totty had the first indoor plumbing. Julian Walling, a local builder, had the first home with indoor plumbing. Mr. Walling did the plumbing for the first home that had a hot water heater and he thought having hot water for washing your hands was the greatest idea ever. Because of this he put the hot water faucet on the right rather the left.

     Behind the Totty Hotel (where the present high school and the Ruth Kennedy residence are today) was an area known as NegroTown, because the few blacks that lived in town during this period had homes on these lots.

     The post office, B. F. Hill's store and the Grapeland Messenger faced the alley behind Front Street. Behind the block, in which the James Owens Store was located, was a building called the Burson Bldg which faced the alley and changed hands at least six times in one year. It finally became the home of the Whitaker Photo and Jewelry Store. The alley behind Darsey's Store boasted a pool hall, the office of Dr. P. H. Stafford, a dental office, a meat market and Mrs. Goodson's Hotel (this stood where the present day Masonic Lodge now stands) .0n Oak Street there were three blacksmith shops.

 Mr. S. E. Howard

                                                 

     In the years between 1905 and 1910, Mr. J. J. Brooks build four brick buildings on the east side of the railroad track. These buildings housed primarily general merchandise stores—Keeland Bros, Mistro, J. J. Brooks Dry Goods, and T. S. Kent's General Merchandise Store. Mr. J. J. Brooks drew up a plat for an east addition subdivision and divided the area from our present day Gulf Station to the site of the now existing Co-op into lots for sale (blocks 19, 20, 21). Three of the above brick buildings are still standing.

 

                                                 

     In 1902 Mr. S. E. Howard had bought 30 acres of land from the Texas Land Co. This was located in the northwestern part of town. In 1911 he subdivided this land into blocks and began to layoff streets. Since he didn't think people needed service alleys he just left them out and sold the lots for $100.00 each. This area extended from the other side of the present-day Baptist Church onSycamore St. to the top of the hill, across to Myrtle St. and back down to about block 16 on Myrtle.

     By 1913 the town of Grapeland was beginning to look like a city with nice buildings and Sycamore trees whose leaves blew into all of those nice looking buildings. The streets were still sandy and weed choked, but there was some hope. It seems that in 1906 two young men had experimented with clay using it on the street in front of their homes. They found that the clay made a nice hard road surface that was 'suitable for horse, buggy or autos'. The side walks of the town were still cluttered with merchandise as each merchant vied with the other for customers by placing his goods outside on the sidewalk forcing the citizens into the streets. One complained that, you couldn't walk down the street no more, 'cause it's so filled up with stuff from inside the stores.' All in all it was quiet a bustling little city.

     Then tragedy struck. Just barely three months into the year of 1913, on March 6th, fifteen businesses were destroyed by fire. Block three had to be completely rebuilt. This fire destroyed 4 of the new brick buildings: two belonging to Geo. E. Darsey; one belonging to Julian Walling; and one that housed the Guarantee State Bank. Of the entire block only two small wooden buildings survived on the back of the block.

     Electric lights were not in use in the business district at this time. Some of the citizens would get together with their neighbors and buy a generator to produce the electricity for their homes to operate electric lights and water pumps, but downtown was again rebuilt without provision for lights at night except for kerosene lamps. Most of the businesses were rebuilt by 1914 and Grapeland was again the trading point for a large scope of the county. Long lines of wagons came to town loaded with farm produce, manufactured items and other sundry items. They returned home with loads of lumber, groceries, 'store bought clothes' and other items.

     The railroad brought prosperity, people, and the veneer of civilization. But one of the most blessed events of the coming of the railroad was that it gave the townspeople something to do and to look forward to.

     On Saturdays and Sundays--in fact just about anytime the train arrived- but especially on those days, the arrival of the train turned into a social event. Ladies in their Sunday dresses and gents in their blue serge suits, climbed in their buggies and went to the depot, there to fraternize and titter and show themselves off until such time as the 'ole iron horse should toot its whistle announcing its impending arrival. Now this was not the climax to this social event. No, that came when the passengers began to depart and to board the train and then again while the freight was being unloaded and loaded. You certainly could learn an awful lot about a person's business this way. This done, the train would signal its departure and the good citizens, their curiosity sated for another day would return home to cold chicken dinners or suppers to speculate on what they had seen.

Porter Drug Store

     In 1924, the newspaper and the citizens of Grapeland again felt the need to incorporate the city. Streets, real streets were badly needed, traffic laws-- for both horse and buggy and autos since they shared the roadways, were a necessity; a local law enforcement agency had to be created and general provisions for waterworks, and sanitation must be made.

     The new mayor was A. H. Luker and the city councilmen were J. C. Kennedy, George E. Darsey, C. L. Holcomb and W. A. Riall. Mr. R. L. Bobbitt was appointed the new constable for the city. The first warrants issued were to Keeland Bros., George E. Darsey, H. H. Dailey and Kennedy Bros. for littering the sidewalk with merchandise. They were fined $5.00 to $10.00 by W. D. Granberry, the city secretary. Strangely there is no record of these fines ever being paid but the sidewalks were kept clean from that day forward.

     The next warrants were issued to Jack Spence Jr. (mail carrier) for excessive speed in an auto (over 10 mph) and to Mrs. Keeland for driving on the wrong side of the road. Of course no one knew which side of the road was the wrong one and which was the right one.

     In 1924 Grapeland at last had electric lights compliments of the Texas Power and Light Co.

     In 1929 the city finally decided which side of the road was wrong and which was right. An ordinance was passed stating that all autos had to drive on the right side of the road.

     In 1930 the first public water works was started. The city added a sewage system in 1938 and in 1939 Grapeland had its first paved streets.

     Now with incorporation, city ordinances, paved streets, law enforcement, automobiles, electric lights and sanitation facilities Grapeland was, at last, a city. The dream at the crossroads had become a reality.

 

                                                

Grapeland Businesses 1953

     Callaway Funeral Home, Brimberry' s Food Store, Woodie Brimberry Food Store, Campbell Cleaners, Casa Blanca Cafe-Motel, Caveness Grocery, Chapman Hardware, Willie Cheatham Gulf Service Station, City 5' to $1" Store, City Market & Grocery, Consumer Fuel Co., Cutler Feed & Produce Co., Jack Dailey Co., Geo. E. Darsey & Co., M. E. Darsey, Jr. Insurance Agency, Farmer's Merchants State Bank, Finch Washateria, Geier Jackson, Inc., Grapeland Butane Gas Co., Grapeland Dry Goods Co., Grapeland Feed & Produce Co., Grapeland Floral Shop, Grapeland Furniture & Tire Co., Grapeland Messenger, Grapeland Motor Co., Grapeland Peanut Growers Ass'n, Grapeland Plum Growers Ass'n, Grapeland Radio Shop, Grapeland State Bank, Grapeland Welding & Machine Shop, Haynes Tractor Co., Herman Helm Service Station, Henson Service Station, Jim 0. Herod Grocery, Humble Service Station, Hoch Bros. Gin, Kennedy Bros., Kennedy Cleaners, John Kennedy, D.D.S., Sam Kennedy, M.D., Leamon's Service Station, Lucille's Beauty Shop, Magnolia Service Station, Manville Grocery, Martin Produce Co., Massey-Harris Dealers, Missouri Pacific Bus Station, Missouri Pacific Depot, Murchison Lumber Co., Newman Coffee Shop, Pelham Service Station, Pennington Cafe, R.C. Pennington Petroleum Co., Pure Ice Co., Ryan's Drug Store, Streetman Independent Service Station, Streetman Motor Co., Texaco Service Station, Wallace Washateria, Walling's Drug Store, Watson Motor Co., Weaver's Service Station, Welcome Beauty Shop, and Younger Service Station.

 

 

 
Top