This picture was taken in about 1914 soon after the 1913 fire. The citizens of Grapeland helped rebuild the hotel for Mrs. Goodson. The east wing of the hotel was added later. Notice the new Masonic building on the corner of Maple and Oak St. The downstairs of this building was occupied by the Grapeland Messenger (now Nichols Building & Supply with the upper story removed).
The original hotel burned in the big fire of 1913. Mrs. Laura Goodson (pictured standing above), the proprietress, was a beloved member of the community. This hotel was located on the present-day site of the Masonic Lodge.