Clewis’ Tailor Shop
Clewis' Tailor Shop
M.L. Clewis entered the tailoring business in the early 1900s. Prior to this time he was in the grocery business in Grapeland. The above picture was taken in 1926 when his shop was located on the east side of lot 16, block 4. The building he occupied was the original post office building of Grapeland. Dress clothes of this era were made of wool and required dry cleaning and this made the tailor shop in a town a thriving business. Most children who grew up in Grapeland during this period remember getting spending money by selling coat hangers back to Mr. Lee for a half cent each.
In the early 1930s, Clewis’ Tailor Shop moved to Front Street, lot 3 block 4.