William F. Murchison
William F. Murchison Family History
William Filmore Murchison was the son of William and Mary Wilson Murchison who moved to Texas in covered wagons before the Civil War, from Tennessee and settled five miles east of Grapeland on Murchison creek where she planted the first cedar tree in that area. There were thirteen children in his family, eleven sisters and one other brother, Christopher Columbus , who died of typhoid fever on the trip to Texas and was buried somewhere near Alto, Texas. William Murchison died in 1866 and was buried atRefuge Cemetery which was deeded to the County of Houston by Jim and John M. Brown who first married Izziebella Murchison, sister of William Filmore. Refuge Cemetery was given its name by Mary Wilson Murchison. William Filmore was twelve years old at the time of his father’s death and was left as man of the family to manage the slaves and farm. They owned and operated a cotton gin also. He was married at the age of 37 to Sallie Spencer Fans who was 18, on October 20, 1887 by the Rev. John Perry Faris, her father and a Presbyterian minister who owned and lived on a farm four miles east of Grapeland, now owned by Dr. E. G. Cutshaw. J. H. Richards was a witness at the wedding. They were parents of nine children: William Alton, Carnie Lue. Mary Mada, Johnnie Franklin, Herman Chilton, Eva Gene, Mayo Filmore, and George Spencer. Mary Mada Murchison and Olan Welborn Davis married January 1, 1914 and their children are Maola, Welborn Faris, and Sally Lou. Carnie Lou and John A. Frazier married April 16, 1925 and their children are William, Mary Jane and James Filmore. Eva Gene Murchison and Jot Davis Hollingsworth married December 23, 1927 and had one child, Beverly Jean. Herman Chilton and Maurine Anthony Pinkerton married June 2, 1938 and had one son, Frank Pinkerton. Mayo Filmore and Eva Mae Wolfe married December 15, 1938. George Spencer and Rosalie Cox married April 11, 1937 and their children are Spencer Mayo, Richard Theo and Phil Faris. William Filmore died September 3, 1925 at the age of 84 and 11 months. Sallie Spencer preceded him on May 24, 1923 at the age of 54 years and 5 months. William Filmore served three terms as State Representative from this district, his first term being in 1889. He moved in 1890 to Percilla four miles north from Murchison creek where they had lived. He was always active in all civic and religious work acting as trustee of schools and on church boards. He was an outstanding and well known lay speaker and song leader. William Fillmore moved his cotton gin to Percilla which he operated along with his farm until he moved with his family in 1909 to Grapeland. He purchased the George Hollingsworth home from M. B.(Dick) Murchison. Who owned it at that time. This was a 25 acre tract of land with an eleven room, two story house which was inherited by one of their daughters, Mada Murchison Davis, and her husband Olan W. Davis. This home burned March 17, 1946 and they donated a portion of this site in memory of William Filmore and Sallie Spencer Murchison for the Community Memorial Hospital. Four of their children still reside on this property. He was a charter director and stockholder of Farmers and Merchants State Bank and was in the General Mercantile business for several years on the corner where the First State Bank is located. William Filmore and his wife, Sallie Spencer were buried at Refuge Cemetery.