Pollie’s Beauty Shop
Pollie's Beauty Shop
In 1959, Pollie Jones went to Cox Beauty College in Huntsville, Texas. She finished college in 1960 and went to work at Mary Kate’s Beauty Shop on Main Street. Permanent waves were priced from $6.50 up to $15; shampoo and sets were $1; and haircuts were 75 cents. She received 60% of what she made. The hair style was the Poodle and Bubble. Bobbie pins, hairpins, set waves and wave clamps were used and but very little hairspray.
After she had been working about six months, Pollie’s husband, Johnnie rented and remodeled the front of Salmon’s Grocery Store building, owned by Odell Shaver and she opened her own shop. Pollie charged $7.50 to $20 for permanent waves, $1 for haircuts and $1.25 for shampoo and sets. By then, hairstyles had changed and rollers and picks had been added to her supplies. She only had two electric dryers and one shampoo bowl. In 1961, Pollie and her husband Johnnie bought the Homer Jones home on South College Street, which had formerly been the Grapeland Flower Shop owned by Mrs. Carrie Jones. This home had been two story but the top story had been burned, so they hired someone to tear the house down. Johnnie sanded the lumber and doors which were still good and contracted Mr. Harry Newman and a helper, George Thomas to do the building for him. Boerner Hill did the electrical work in their new home and in Pollie’s shop.
In 1962, Pollie’s Beauty Shop was opened on South College Street and with new fixtures, new hair dryers and a new look to the location. She worked until 1973 when she closed due to her husband’s illness and death in 1980.
In 1981, Pollie’s son, Bill remodeled the shop and she reopened the shop, updated the prices and is still working on some of the same customers as she did in 1960.