St. Mary’s A.M.E. Church
St. Mary's A.M.E. Church
The first St. Mary’s A.M.E Church was founded by three members, Mary Lewis, Mattie Batts, and Harrett Goodson. The date of the church’s beginning is not known but the first pastor was Rev. Gilford.
The old church building was constructed in 1934. The membership at that time included Silas McKenny, Helen, McKenny, Will Haze, Mary Haze and Handy Black.
The present church building was constructed in 1969 under the leadership of Rev. William T. Vaughn. The membership during this period were Jim. Singletary, Adam Carr, Sally Black, Maria Baker, Curlee Johnson, Mary Gardner, mattie Batts, Laura Simpbson, and Greta Taylor.